Full disclosure: for years JetBrains comped me with free products, but for a few years now I have been buying my own licenses.
I have been working since 5am this morning on three customer projects in three languages:
- Python – using PyCharm
- Ruby – using RubyMine
- Java – using IntelliJ
Switching languages and supporting platforms and frameworks sometimes causes a little cognitive dissonance, taking a few minutes to get my head into a different toolset.
With the same (almost) user interface, similar code completion, etc., switching between three languages and projects today was easy with no stress.
I will also thank other companies that make it easier for me to do my work:
- Amazon AWS – Amazon is my favorite technology company. AWS has changed my working life. Since I live in a remote mountain area, I also appreciate getting stuff from Amazon. The Kindle platform with synched reading accross all of my devices is also great.
- Apple – my MacBook Air and iPad are great devices that I don’t even have to think about while I am working and playing (and the iTV is pretty cool also)
- Heroku – I am a big fan of PaaS and Heroku is my favorite
- Google – for GMail, Docs and Calendar
- github – really makes remote customer interaction simple and productive
- Evernote – my own personal memory box
- Netflix – covers most of my non-sports and non-reading recreation
I work and live in a digital world and these great companies deserve my business for making my life simpler and more fun.